About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lapel Pins Are Here!!!

Several years ago, realizing that the amputee community was missing a symbol of support, I took it upon myself to design my own. I knew that I wanted a ribbon, but I also wanted it to be unique. During a conversation with my Mom, I was struck by a moment of inspiration. After a few hours using PhotoShop, I came up with my final design.

I posted my image on Facebook and I knew that I had created something special. My ribbon went viral. I was delighted when, within a few hours, it was posted on the walls of amputees around the world. Thrilled that my design was well received, I heeded my family's advice and secured an official copyright. Although I had no concrete plans to utilize the design, I wanted to retain the rights.

A few months ago I was contacted by a Mary Ann, a new reader, about my producing die-cast lapel pins. I wrote back, explaining that I wanted to produce the pins but did not have the connections to manufacture them in a financially feasible manner. I was stunned by her response.

As fate would have it, Mary Ann is currently living in China and had ready access to pin manufacturers. Stating that she believed in my efforts and wanting nothing more than to promote awareness, she offered to talk with the factories to obtain quotes.  After talking about her offer with Scott, I agreed to investigating pin production.

The past few months have been a flurry of emails and Skype calls as this dream came to fruition. I have never met Mary Ann, yet I feel like we are kindred spirits and that we have always been friends. She has worked tirelessly to make these pins available, simply because she believed in the ribbon symbol and my message. I am overwhelmed by her generosity of time and spirit!

Last night the box that I have been anticipating finally arrived. I was shaking when I held my prosthetic ribbon pin, realizing that something that I created has finally been produced. I love the pin, and I hope that you do too!














I'm excited to announce that AmputeeMommy Prosthetic Awareness lapel pins are currently available. They can be ordered using the link on the sidebar of this blog, or through my website. The cost is $5, including shipping. (The die-cast pin is 1"x 3/4".)

7 comments:

  1. It is amazing that the awareness ribbons have touched every different cause. I think it is a great way to show support for your cause!

    Oh and these look great! I have seen the "walking" lapel pins for fundraisers but this is extremely creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! My son who is 9 months had a amputation at 4 months old due to a congenital birth defect. He just received his first leg 2 days ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I loved it!! Design is very creative and something different from others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son will have his right leg amputated above the knee due to a vascular malformation. Can't wait for him to walk again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog and it sounds pretty interesting and very useful information. Thanks for sharing.
    custom lapel pins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you the charms available for jewelry making?
    calvin.pleasants@mindspring.com

    ReplyDelete