About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Robby's Explanation

This begins the third day since my injury. While I can't say that the pain has lessened, I have certainly noticed an improvement in my demeanor. I have been inundated with well wishes and phone calls from friends and neighbors. With so much support, it would be impossible to stay in a funk for long!

Robby couldn't wait to go to school to tell his friends about my mishap. According to the email I received from his teacher, Robby made what he dubbed as the "big announcement" during morning circle. With all of his little classmates sitting around him, he stood up and proceeded to tell his version of the events. 

"You are not going to believe it. I mean what happened is horrible. Momom fell and hurt her ankle and her prosthetic leg. We had to take her to the hospital. Thank goodness they didn't have to put little tubes in her this time because that really freaked me out. This time, instead of the little tubes, the doctor took pictures of her bones. She can't walk on her ankle. Not even a tiny little bit. She can't walk on her prosthetic because her leg meat peeled away from the bone just like when I eat chicken. So she can't walk on her ankle. And she can't walk on her prosthetic. You know what that means? It means she's screwed." 

He then proceeded to take a bow before sitting down with the rest of his class.  His classmates were all duly impressed by my mishap and concerned about my inability to walk. Collectively, they decided to make me a get well book. Robby was so proud bringing home and presenting me the treasure he and his classmates constructed. The pictures that they drew and the messages that they wrote are utterly precious!

The get well book, as well as the help and support of my friends, have made this time easier for me. In addition to the pain, I am finding it frustrating to slow down and relax. I am always working on a project, planning and implementing and activity or doing something active. It's hard for me to just sit, but right now that is my only option. I've been wanting to figure out how to move in a slower gear; I just didn't want to be placed on the "injured reserve" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment