About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

An Intimate Discussion

There is a subject that impacts everybody living with an amputation at some point in their life. Despite the broad interest, the topic remains somewhat taboo. When I'm talking with a new amputee, questions pertaining to this issue are often hushed and muttered with an embarrassed undertone. I remember what it was like to have these questions and not having anybody to ask so many times I will bring up the subject during a conversation to minimize the discomfort of asking.

Yes, I'm talking about sex. Losing a limb often results in body image issues. I remember feeling uncomfortable after my amputation. Although my mind told me that I was the same person, just minus a leg, I struggled accepting my new shape. Everything felt foreign, from how I looked in the mirror to my balance and equilibrium. I found finding intimacy difficult when I felt so self-conscious and different!

Although many amputees experience these emotions and struggles when resuming their relationships, there is little information available on the topic of sexual well-being. My friend Dave who writes a blog of his own and I have decided to bring to bring the struggles out of the bedroom. We have recorded our second podcast, with the topic dedicated to intimacy post-amputation. I hope you enjoy our special Valentine's Day edition of Amped Chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment