About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Luncheon Prep

The school year is rapidly closing, and that translates into one thing in our house: my kitchen has been transformed into a factory as I cook and bake for the traditional luncheon. Each year I swear that I am not doing it again, yet each June I find myself frantic and toiling in the kitchen, cooking a feast for 100 hungry teenagers and their mentors.

Because Scott teaches Special Education and Disadvantaged students, his classes are small and many of his students have been with him throughout their high school career. The first luncheon was hosted on a whim, as a means of saying goodbye to a particularly special group of students. We both quickly realized that the modest celebration was the only acknowledgment that many of these students received for earning their diploma. Scott and I both decided that all graduates deserve to have the milestone celebrated, and since that time, Graduation Luncheon has become an unintentional tradition.

I would love to have the luncheon catered, but it is cost prohibitive since we fund the event ourselves. Instead, we scour sales circulars throughout May, trying to device a special, yet economically sound, menu. Scott always promises to help, and although he means well by this offer, I always end up kicking him out of the kitchen. Having his novice hands in the mix creates more frustrations, and he quickly becomes underfoot. Instead his talents are utilized during clean-up when I pop off my leg and relax with a wine cooler.

Yesterday I spent nearly 4 hours prepping and assembling over 70 pounds of lasagna. It may sound like a lot, but the appetites of these teenagers always astounds me. Today I need to make the yeast rolls (the menu changes each year, but the rolls are a much-anticipated staple) and bake the chocolate chip cookies. I wish it was a little cooler outside because my ovens will be on all day.

It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it on Friday. I know that the kids, along with their mentors, appreciate the celebration. Friday night I plan on curling up to watch a movie on the couch and devour all the cupcakes that are left over from the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment