About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Packed and Ready


Between visiting my Mom, gathering up everything we needed for our Atlantis adventure, and cleaning my house in advance of my house sitter, I was busy every moment. It's a good thing that I'm going on vacation because I certainly need a rest after all of the work to prepare! After months of planning and a weekend of preparations, it is hard to imagine that we will board the plane and start our much anticipated adventure.

Robby has had a difficult time containing his enthusiasm. He hasn't been bad, but he has certainly been animated. In order to focus his energies, I gave him an empty laundry basket and asked him to fill it with everything he wanted to take on the trip. I should have been more specific with the directive. After 45 minutes he pushed the overflowing basket down the hallway, filled with all of his games and science kits, including only his bathing suit and a pair of pajamas to wear for clothing.  It took us 30 minutes to put all of his treasures back and replace them with (according to Robby)  "boring dumb clothes that are no fun at all."

With all of the "boring dumb clothes" packed, I turned my attention to the other various items that we needed to include. I made a lengthy list, left both boys in front of the XBox and went out to tackle the mall. It is amazing how many sundries are necessary when going to a beach vacation. I was just about to congratulate myself for sticking to my list when something caught my eye. I stood for several minutes, debating whether or not I should try it on. The logical side told me to leave it alone, justifying that it wasn't necessary. The fun side of me wanted to give it a whirl.  I broke down and went into the dressing room.

Although part of me has always wanted to, I have never worn a bikini. I have struggled with body image issues for as long as I remember. While I know that my body is far from ideal, I am finally at a place where I am willing to accept my flaws. I am never going to have the perfect figure, but I am realizing that the level of perfection which inundates us on a regular basis is attainable for few. Instead of always striving to be perfect, I'm trying to embrace where I am now and to be comfortable in my skin. The bikini seemed like the perfect test of my new resolve. 

I slipped on the two pieces, took a deep breath and looked in the mirror. I was surprised by my reaction. I was expecting to be revolted by the image, but instead I smiled. I don't look like a model, but I don't look foolish either. I looked confident and happy. This week I am going to step outside my comfort zone and sport my new bikini at the pool! After all, if I can sport a carbon fiber leg without giving it a second thought, I should be able to wear a bikini.

I insisted that all of our bags be packed and stowed in the car before we went to bed. I wanted everything ready to go so that we could avoid the last minute stress that often accompanies a vacation. This morning we are leaving early, too early if you ask the boys. Our plane leaves at 9, putting our arrival in the Bahamas at 11:30. I know that they will appreciate the early departure time when they are enjoying the pools and beach this afternoon, but that will be little solace in the interim.

I need to wake them up soon and I know that it will not be a pleasant.  In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the solitude of the quiet house and sip my coffee. As soon as the boys are awake, we will be jumping in the car and our vacation begins.  (Can you tell I'm excited?)

In addition to my regular blog posts, I will be posting photos frequently, so check back throughout the week.  Robby's Nana gave him a waterproof digital camera which has transformed him into a want-to-be photographer. He has asked me to share some of his photos on my blog, so you can see what Atlantis looks like through his eyes. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG we are going to be there on the 20th! We are cruising there and will be in Nassau for 24 hours then back on ship for a day at sea. Bringing the whole family 11 of us. Have a great time but I will probably be on the boat with the babies.... my choice!

    ReplyDelete