About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Mom Instinct

Last Thursday Robby was not feeling well and Scott and I debated whether or not to take him to the pediatrician. I try to be a relaxed Mom, but also fully recognize that my instinct is to take him to the doctor for every malady. Wanting to control my frantic mom impulses, I decided to nurture him through his cold without medical intervention. I have to admit, I was oddly proud that we had avoided a pediatrician visit!

By Friday morning Robby was better and, against his most vocal wishes, I sent him to school. He had a great day and was fully on the mend by the time evening rolled around. We changed into jammies, curled up on the couch and watched Ninja Turtles (for probably the 30th time). He was smiling and in good spirits when I tucked him into his race car bed, surrounded by stuffed turtles. 

At 10:30 I heard a light coughing coming from his room. By 11:00 it had morphed into full blown hacking, and he was miserable. My poor little guy, who seemed to be fine a few hours earlier, was feverish and complaining of a headache and sore throat. I knew that a long night was in store for us.

Robby finally fell back to sleep around 3:00 AM, but he was anything but restful. By the time the sun came up, I knew that we were going to have to go to an Urgent Care center. I packed him in the car and drove to a new facility, hopeful that being at the door when it opened would help us avoid long waiting periods.

Thankfully the doctor saw him right away, and it didn't take long to diagnose the issue.  My poor little Koopa had a double ear infection and strep throat. So much for my parental instincts! 

We spent the majority of the weekend on the couch watching Christmas movies and cat napping. By Sunday evening Robby was on the mend and feeling better. I was so happy when he ventured out from under the blankets to play with his little green army men.

Robby is on the mend--again. The antibiotics are definitely working, allowing Robby to return to his jovial self. While I'm relieved that he is feeling better, I'm now fairly confident that I will never be a competent judge of when a doctor's visit is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment