About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Party Wrap-up

Friday was Robby's last day of school before Christmas vacation. To say he was excited would certainly be an understatement. He woke up at 5:00, eager to go to his school party and to perform his songs that his class has been practicing. The fact that his Nana was going to be in the audience simply added a layer of enthusiasm and excitement.

I've come to realize that the last day before Christmas vacation and the last day of school for the year are the only two times that Robby (and Scott for that matter) don't complain about going. The typical routine of, "I don't want to go to school today. Please Momom, let me stay home" was suspended for this momentous occasion. Instead of moaning and groaning, Robby was watching the clock tick all morning because he actually wanted to go to school. What a nice change!

After dropping him off, I ran a few quick errands in preparation for the "super big holiday crafting and game party" I was hosting for his classmates. I knew that Robby was not alone in his excitement when all of his friends cheered when I entered the classroom. I was definitely the hero, not because I brought craft supplies but because I was toting a Chic-Fil-A chicken nugget platter.

We spent the rest of the morning and afternoon working on holiday crafts and playing reindeer games. Squeals of laughter, all originating from his classroom, were echoing down the hallway of the school. I love seeing Robby and his friends so happy!

Robby was delighted that his Nana arrived a little early for the concert allowing her time to visit the party. He was an attentive host, making sure that she was comfortable and had a good view of the activities. I later learned that he pushed two chairs together, making sure that they were touching in case his Nana needed more room. (For the record, my Mom only requires one chair. I think Robby was worried because the chairs are child-sized.) He immediately put dibs on the cozy rocker (set up in the foyer for the concert) so that his Nana would have the best seat in the house for the performance. He justified his request by reminding the Principal that his Nana has two new "inside knees." Always thoughtful, he added that she would give up the rocker if somebody came who doesn't have any knees. 

I was grateful when the kids needed to line up for the concert because I was utterly exhausted from my role as party host. I sat in the chair next to my Mom (perched in the rocker) and prepared to be entertained. It turns out that Robby only remembered one of the three songs being sung, but he sang it loudly and enthusiastically. Perhaps the brevity was tad anti-climactic for my Mom, who drove a total of 6 hours to watch the performance, but I know Robby was proud that she came to watch him.

By the time I got home after the party, I was in a zombie-like state of exhaustion. It turns out that I was not alone in my fatigue. Robby curled up next to me on the couch to watch Elf and we were both sound asleep by 7:30. Occasionally, his rising before dawn has its benefits-especially when he falls asleep early!

No comments:

Post a Comment