About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Just Calm Down

The past few days has taught me an invaluable lesson: it is imperative that I try to remain calm and refrain from emotional extremes. Considering that I am a passionate person by nature, I know that this is going to be a tall order. 

The pregnancy coupled with my resurfacing thyroid issues combine to create some wicked and uncomfortable side effects when I become emotionally riled. My heart starts racing and beats in an abnormal pattern, I can't catch my breath, and I become lightheaded when I get worked up. Of course, it took several incidents before I made the correlation!

Friday afternoon I received a letter from Robby's former school demanding $1750 and threatening to take me to collections if the sum is not paid immediately. Since I had paid his tuition in full (to receive the early bird discount) in August of 2012, this notice took me by surprise. My shock quickly morphed to ire when I called and learned that they have decided to retroactively revoke the discount for early payment. The frustration of dealing with such blatant incompetence was enough to send me into a tailspin. I ended the telephone conversation with a glimmer of hope that everything would be resolved, but I was feeling the physical ramifications of the confrontation. 

The majority of Friday evening was spent trying to calm my physical reaction. Although I knew that the abnormal heartbeat was "normal" for the dosage of medication I have been prescribed, the experience was scary.  Yesterday I became enraged again, resulting in my experiencing the same physical response that I endured a few days earlier.

Although I know that it is not going to be easy, it is paramount that I try to remain composed during the next few months. Perhaps hormonal fueled (although I'll never admit that to Scott), I have been short fused lately. Scott told me that I need to stop becoming frustrated about things over which I have no power or control. While I understand his logic and I know that he is correct, passively remaining idle has never been my forte.


***Robby's unique attire for going to play hockey yesterday.  #100happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment