About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Polar Air

I must give props to my amputee friends living in cold weather climates. After experiencing the 0 degree true temperatures yesterday, I am in awe of their abilities to live happy and productive lives. Much of my day was spent cuddled up under a blanket in front of the fire place insert trying to purge the chill from my bones.

It required a Herculean effort to crawl out of my warm bed yesterday morning. Robby was already awake and asking for the fire to be lit, so I grabbed my liner and immediately retreated back under the covers. It was freezing cold! I suppose I played my pregnant amputee card, but I shooed Scott out of bed to start the fire. I tucked the liner under the electric blanket where it could warm under the covers.

I ventured outside once yesterday for a visit to my prosthetist.  Had I not been scheduled to start building my new pregnancy leg, I probably would have cancelled and continued to hibernate. Alas, the motivation to achieve prosthetic comfort outweighed my desire to stay warm. One step into the arctic air immediately made me reconsider my decision. 

Although I tried to minimize the exposure, taking the trash to the end of the driveway and walking to my car was evidently enough time for an intense cramp to develop in my limb. The cold wicked up the pylon transporting the frigid temperatures directly to the bottom of my socket. I cranked up the heat in my car, but it was to little avail. By the time I arrived at my prosthetist's office, the bottom of my limb was a brilliant shade of reddish purple from the extreme cold.

Thankfully it did not take long for my limb to warm up and to return to a normal flesh tone, but the experience reminded me of the importance of always being prepared. I had donned my heavy coat, gloves, hat and scarf for the trip outside, but I failed to make any weather accommodations for my prosthesis. Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have gone to the effort of throwing a hand warmer in the bottom of my socket before stepping outside.  I have no doubt that a little preparation would have saved me a lot of discomfort. Granted, I tend to have more intense reactions to cold than many of my amputee friends. That being acknowledged, this extreme cold has me miserable!


** Day 3.  Happiness is having your son make dinner on his "stay home from school becaus

No comments:

Post a Comment