About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Slowing Down

The first week of summer vacation is in the books, and we are slowly easing into our summer schedule.  Scott and Robby have been enjoying lazy mornings sleeping in, slowly waking up to the morning by watching Spongebob or Scooby-Doo. Despite my protests, they have also been enjoying staying up much later than the preferred bedtime for an eight year old, watching whatever survival show is airing. Meanwhile I try to sleep when Hamlet is asleep, creating a somewhat disjointed schedule. 

Other than playing with his cousin for two days, we have not done anything noteworthy. In the past we have always kicked off the beginning of summer vacation with an adventure. This year on the last day of school I swung by McDonald's for milkshakes.  The new baby, coupled with my surgery, have certainly crimped our on-the-go style.

Although we haven't had our traditional adventure, Robby has been thoroughly enjoying his summer vacation.  Each afternoon he and Scott head to the pool, leaving me at home to take care of the baby. I miss going to the pool with them, but I know that I will be able to join the fun as soon as my leg heals. In the meantime, I am glad that the boys have time to have fun and strengthen their bond. Robby comes homes from swimming famished, pink cheeked and wearing a smile from ear to ear.

While Robby is busy splishing and splashing with his Daddy, Timmy is enjoying being held and rocked by me. I am in awe at how quickly he is catching up and developing. He is now over eight pounds and growing like a weed. I love watching him perch his little head to look out the window when I am trying to burp him. He is utterly fascinated by our ceiling fan and is beginning to reach out for toys. He can't roll over yet, but he sure pedals his little feet quickly.  

This summer we have been forced to slow down.  I'm not healed enough to plan a big family outing, and doing anything requiring a large time commitment is daunting with Timmy. Having an empty schedule is certainly a change, but our summer vacation does not seem to be suffering because of the lack of activities. Robby is happy and Timmy is thriving. For right now, that is all the adventure I need!




No comments:

Post a Comment