About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Long Process

Despite being a milestone, yesterday was an extremely laid-back celebration. After surprising Robby with cinnamon buns for breakfast, we packed up and headed back to Elliot's for another adjustment. I never realized how many socket adjustments and tweaks were necessary when crafting a prosthesis. I probably put 500 miles on the car in the past three weeks as we build a new leg. 

Building a good prosthesis is not a quick and simple venture. Whenever we undertake the building of a new leg I am so thankful that I work from home. I can easily manipulate my schedule to accommodate the frequent appointments, eliminating a stress of missed work time from the equation. During the past 10 days we have spent at least 15 hours being fitted and traveling to and from the office. Needless to say, Robby (and Timmy) have made themselves quite comfortable in the waiting room.

The process of building a new leg can be as frustrating as it is time consuming. I felt myself becoming irritated by the pain and feeling as if I was somehow weak because it was holding me back. I have never been very good at being patient with myself!

After multiple changes and tweaks as well as time for surgical healing to occur, I am finally feeling optimistic. I can walk, albeit gingerly and with a horrible gait, unassisted for short distances. With each step I am reminded of the recent surgery, but being upright again is a wonderful feeling! I wish I had a video camera rolling when Robby saw me walk into the bedroom without crutches. Hearing him cheer and seeing the pride on his face is a memory I will always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment