About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Re-Framing My Thoughts

My Facebook news feed is reminding me that another laid back weekend has drawn to a close. Between healing from the surgery and caring for Timmy, the day of the week has little consequence. Scott and Robby are home for summer vacation, so I have no obligation to keep track of the date or the days of the week. I have to say that we are doing a great job at living without a schedule!

With the exception of doctor's appointments, my schedule is unaffected by the day of the week.  Timmy wakes up every few hours to be fed, entertained, or held. Much of my day I am confined to my rocking chair where I have diapers, bottles, binkies, spit clothes and the baby within reach. I am almost beginning to forget what it feels like to socialize!

Staying inside and not being involved in a few projects is a foreign feeling for me.  I am accustomed to being busy, keeping a packed schedule. Having no where to go, and lacking the ability to do anything physical, I have been forced to slow down. Right now my job is to heal and to care for Timmy. Both are necessary, but the monotony is beginning to wear thin. I can't wait until I can put him in his stroller and work outside, go to the park or work on the growing list of projects that I have been planning. Too much idle time watching HGTV almost always equates to a strong desire to jump into home improvement.  Unfortunately, both Scott and I lack the tools and knowledge to complete the majority of my "great ideas."

Being sedentary is not something that is comfortable for me, but I am doing my best to adapt. In order to maintain some sanity, I'm trying to change my perspective on the entire situation. Rather than "sitting around doing nothing all summer," I'm actively reminding myself that I am taking care of Timmy.  The little guy needs a lot of extra care, and in a way I am fortunate to be in a position where I can devote myself to helping him. Maybe re-framing my situation will make the second half of the summer more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment