About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Colic

Yesterday Timmy was officially 3 months old. My goodness, our lives have drastically changed in such a short amount of time. I've had a baby, dealt with infections, had a re-amputation, and lost a beloved pet.  All this while learning to live without sleep. Who said mom's couldn't multitask!

I love my Timmy to the moon and back, which is a good thing because he is a cranky little bird. I never appreciated the impact of colic until I found myself in a combat situation against it. No matter what we do, the relief  is short lived. The smiles quickly turn to scowls, and the cooing morph into blood curdling screaming. It is a terrible feeling not being able to comfort your own child. Although logic is telling me otherwise, it is hard to not feel like a complete maternal failure when holding a sweaty, screaming, red faced baby for hours on end. 

Typical to colic, Timmy has developed a fairly predictable pattern. In the morning he is pleasant and happy. When he is feeling good he has the cutest dimpled smile ever. He can certainly be a little charmer.

It isn't until after lunch that the colic appears, forcing misery on everybody in the house. From noon until night I am rendered helpless in the rocker, trying to sooth him and provide comfort against the angst and pain that he is experiencing. He eventually falls asleep, probably from exhaustion.

During the past few weeks we have spent a small fortune on an arsenal of over-the-counter treatments and "cures." So far they have only resulted in filling up our medicine cabinet and emptying our bank accounts. I am beginning to believe the doctor when she said that the only true cure will be time.

We are, of course, open to suggestions. If you have had a child who has suffered with colic, and you found something that worked, please share! We are desperate to help our little Timmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment