About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

First Family Video

A few weeks ago I was invited to participate in a PSA for the Amputee Coalition. While the timing wasn't ideal because school had just started and I was still feeling weak from the surgeries, I didn't hesitate to accept the invitation. If I am able, I will always do whatever I can to help benefit the community regardless of the inconvenience. Raising awareness about living with limb loss is imperative if we are going to effectively work towards reform and change.

Robby went to school late the morning of the video, but I would be lying if I said that he was upset about being tardy. He strutted into school later that morning with a video cameraman in tow, strutting like a conquering hero. When his friends peppered him with questions, he coyly smiled and said, "I'm just filming another video with my Momom." Needless to say, he certainly ended his first week of school on a high note!

Looking back, Robby has managed to create quite a little experience reel during his short life. He has participated in numerous awareness videos, prosthetic commercials and news interviews. His gap-toothed little grin has been seen worldwide through our print advertisements and videos. I love that I have professionally produced videos documenting various stages of his childhood. Reflecting on everything that we have been able to do together because of these videos, I am struck with an incredible sense of gratitude. We are so lucky to have been able to participate in these amazing activities together.

This video shoot was quite special for me because it was Timmy's debut. I wasn't sure how he would do in front of the camera, but he apparently takes after his brother when it comes to charming the lens. He could not have been better behaved or more adorable! 

I was a little concerned about how Robby would manage sharing these experiences with his little brother, but my worrying was for naught. He excitedly helped me get Timmy ready for the filming by picking out his outfit and telling him what he should expect. I even walked in on Robby brushing Timmy's little nose with powder in preparation for his video debut. (Robby insists on powdering his nose before each video/ photo shoot, even when it is not necessary or requested.)

After a morning of filming and a few weeks for production, the video has finally been released. I am in segment number 2.  Please excuse the messy kitchen, but I suppose it is a glimpse into real life in my house.  



No comments:

Post a Comment