About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Walking Day!

Life is full of somber remembrances. From the day of my original accident to the final amputation, try as I might I can't forget the dates. It is nice to finally have a date to celebrate. Today is my Walking Day!

Eleven years ago I took my first steps (literally and figuratively) into my new life as an amputee. I was unsure about everything, from how my body moved and looked to how the prosthetic felt and worked. Somehow in that small little room, I managed to summon my courage, put down the crutches and put my first foot forward.

Within mere minutes I was walking again. It wasn't pretty, but it was functional and without crutches. I felt like WonderWoman overpowering the fiercest foe. I've had a few setbacks in the past eleven years, but despite everything I have kept moving forward.

Today I celebrate everything that I have accomplished. Learning to walk with a prosthesis is an empowering experience. No matter what life throws at me, I simply need to remember the uncertainty that I felt and I am reminded about the depth of my strength. Eleven years ago today I have learned that I am stronger than I realized, and that I am a fighter. 

Happy Walking Day to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment