About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Procrastination Mistake

This morning I am headed to see Elliot for a socket adjustment, and the appointment could not come soon enough. During the past few days I have developed a knot on the front of the bone which has become extremely painful. I suspect that the knot is the result of a misaligned socket that, to be completely honest I should have addressed weeks ago when I first started to notice. Unfortunately between my Dad being sick and ultimately dying and my work commitments, I just haven't been able to carve out the time in my schedule to take care of my leg.

Lesson learned, and I am now dealing with the true life consequences of my procrastination. The slight rubbing caused some inflammation, which in turned created more friction between my leg and the socket. I am now at the point where I have spot the circumference of a baseball on my bone that is red, inflamed and tender to the touch.

I have been trying to stay off my leg as much as possible, but being a Mom makes it is nearly impossible to stay off my feet. Timmy is into absolutely everything and loves nothing more than being pushed in his little stroller trike next to his big brother riding his new bicycle. Although I have thoroughly enjoyed spending so much time outside with my boys, I am now dealing with the result of all of the walking in a misaligned socket. 

Needless to say, right now I am not terribly fond of being an amputee. I am tired of having to schedule adjustments and new sockets into my already overflowing life. I just want things to be easy and maintenance free. I wish that I didn't have to worry about these issues and that the biggest ramification of my walking would be an occasional blister from a new pair of shoes. 

Of course, my limb loss is one thing that I definitely cannot change. I know that my mood will lift as soon as the pain wanes. Hopefully Elliot will be able to work his magic, and I'll resume my normal life this afternoon. I did learn that procrastination and prosthetics are not an advantageous combination!  The next time I sense a problem, I am going to make it a priority before it becomes a more debilitating issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment