About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Special Surprise

Timmy has a propensity for early mornings which is not my preference. Ever since my chemo treatment, mornings have been even more difficult. Each morning I wake up feeling as if I have the flu. My limbs are heavy, my thoughts disoriented and my body is weak. Needless to say, it is beginning to be depressing!

In addition to what I have dubbed the "chemo flu," yesterday morning was especially difficult because of my wrist. It is still tender and sore, reminding me that I am injured each time I move incorrectly or try to use my fingers without deliberate thought. While I knew that I was pushing the limits of Timmy's patience, and that he could start screaming at any moment, I just couldn't seem to get my body motivated to move. I managed to get moving and to Timmy before he morphed into a full blown meltdown, saving the boys from an unwelcome wake up call.

I was sitting in my rocking chair, watching Hamlet happily chase a ball around the living room floor while feeling especially sorry for myself. I don't throw pity parties often, but when I do, I usually make sure that they are spectacular! I was in the midst of a full blown wallowing session when I opened my email and read a message that immediately brought me out of my self-imposed darkness.

Somebody, I don't know who, sent me a gift card for Toys R Us. I was shocked by the generous gift and, although it was given anonymously, I want the giver to know how much it is appreciated. I remain completely overwhelmed by the loving gesture. It feels like I have been inundated with negativity and sadness lately. Receiving the anonymous gift was the lift that I needed to remind me that caring and wonderful people do exist. I consider myself truly blessed to have so many people care about me. 

We are putting the gift card towards the swing set we have been coveting and, thanks to my anonymous friend, it will be delivered in time for Timmy's birthday party.  Robby was so excited to learn that we are finally getting the swing set, something that he has been wanting for several years now. I know that Timmy will probably enjoy swinging as much as his big brother, but he just doesn't know it yet. 

So to whomever sent me the unexpected gift, I want to say thank you.  Not only for the present, but for caring and reminding me that life is wonderful. I respect your anonymity, but please know that I will think of you every time I swing with my boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment