About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Confidence Gone Bad

Yesterday was hot and the perfect day to play at the pool. As soon as we entered through the gates I heard screams of "Robby's here" from a small hoard of children. Needless to say, my little Koopa no longer needs me to entertain him in the pool.  He grabbed his satchel of pool toys, his turtle float and took off to join his friends.  He did emerge from the water on one occasion- when he wanted ice cream from the snack bar.

Timmy, on the other hand, was more than happy to take all of my attention.  Sitting in his little blue whale floaty, he thoroughly enjoyed playing in the water and watching his big brother splash with his friends. (Have I mentioned how much I adore his giggles?) After floating for about an hour, we moved to the baby pool where he could stand, sit and splash more. 

Even though he hovered around the sides of the baby pool, he required my being by his side. Until he passes swim classes, which won't be for another few years, he will never be out of my reach at the pool. I enjoy playing with him in the float more than the baby pool, but seeing him happy trumps my desires to be fully submerged. 

Standing in the baby pool for almost two hours, I took a lot of sun. Since I thoroughly applied sunscreen to everybody, I wasn't overly concerned about becoming burned. It wasn't until late last night that I realized I had an error in judgment.

In yesterday's blog I wrote about my newly discovered swimsuit confidence. This was the first year I opted for a traditional swim suit vs. a swim dress. Because I have worn swim dresses for at least 25 years, the skin on my upper thighs hasn't seen the rays of the sun since childhood.  This morning I am waking up with a golden tan, accented by two bright red swatches on my upper thighs. 

Perhaps the universe is telling me that I shouldn't be confident in a swimsuit. 




No comments:

Post a Comment