About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, November 23, 2015

War College

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

The boys and I made our traditional pilgrimage to spend the week with my Mom. Scott will join us on Tuesday when he is done with work. In the meantime, I have a few adventures planned (in between resting and relaxing of course.) 

Today Robby and I are going on a special trip to the War College in Carlisle. My little Koopa has become quite the history buff and has recently become enthralled with World War II.  I must admit that I was a bit taken aback when his interest in World War II started to grow.  When I saw that one of his drawings from school featured a Nazi flag, I knew that I had to intervene.  I know that zooming planes and torpedo boats are fun for little boys, but the horrific atrocities needed to be appreciated.

I grew up with a Jewish father who made sure that we understood and appreciated the history of the holocaust.  After much searching, I found a kid-friendly documentary on the holocaust, and I sat him down a few weeks ago and made him watch the film. Unlike so many documentaries about the atrocities committed, this film was not graphic. However, it did enlighten Robby about the crimes committed and the torture endured during that time. 

After watching the documentary, Robby's interest in World War II was solidified. (Thankfully now the only time he draws the Nazi flag is on the tail of a plane violently crashing.) While I don't understand his fascination with all things military, I love that he is a little sponge soaking up as much information as possible. I know that he is going to love learning about all of the different wars and seeing the artifacts in the museum. It should be a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment