About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

"Mmmmm"

Yesterday I was not a very good mom. Despite logging 12,000+ steps chasing after and playing with the kids, one event overshadows all of my positive efforts. I am simultaneously repulsed, disgusted and riddled with guilt when I reflect upon a singular moment yesterday morning.

Everything started out normally, or as normal as we ever achieve in this house. Leaving Timmy to play in the living room, I went to refill my coffee and to fix Robby his breakfast. Up until the moment I walked back into the living room, I had no idea that Timmy had mastered moving the gate at the top of the stairs.  Seeing the gate ajar and fearing the worst, I sprinted downstairs.

The events unraveled quickly, but I remember seeing Timmy standing in Charlie Cat's litter box. He was covered with sandy pellets and little blue odor absorbing bits.  I immediately swooped him from his make shift sandbox when I noticed the unmistakable smell on his breath.  He smiled, licked his sandy little lips and said "mmmm." 

I began to wretch, which caused him to cry. Reaching into his mouth and hoping that I was wrong,  I retrieved the remainder of the dried cat poop that he was chewing. He began to throw a fit when I emptied his hand of the other half of the poop which he was clutching, probably meant to be a snack for later.

I ran upstairs, placed him into the bathtub and vomited while the water ran. I hosed him down and encouraged him to drink as much water as possible. To further encourage drinking, I filled up every sippy cup with water and lined them on the couch. 

Once he was clean, I googled "my toddler ate cat poop" and was astounded by the wealth of information available on the topic. I guess this blog will be added to the mix of stories told by horrified parents recounting a similar incident. While it is good to know that he isn't the only toddler to enjoy an "organic feline snack," I am still haunted by the smells and images I experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment