About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Croup

Sunday night I woke up to the telltale barking cough coming from Timmy's room. I put my leg on and began to move in one swift movement, anxious to help to ease his breathing. We sat in the humid bathroom for almost an hour until the barking resided and his breathing was no longer labored.  Last night we repeated the cycle of sleep, barking, steam and sleep several times.

I remember waking up with croup when I was young. The terror of not being able to breath clearly, coupled with being forced to sit next to a steaming shower etched strong memories. Although I now know that my Mom was never going to throw me into the shower, I remember being scared of the hot water. I suspect that Timmy has the same fear because he begins to scream from panic as soon as the water is turned on. Curling up in the corner of the bathroom floor and quietly waiting for him to come and sit down next to me isn't comfortable, but it seems to be the best way to keep him calm.

His cough is still barking this morning, and he sounds extremely congested. I worry about my little guy, but I know that croup is more scary than dangerous. I'm going to try to keep him quiet today. I wish he was interested in cartoons, because it would be the perfect day to cuddle on the couch and watch Paw Patrol. Instead, I'm going to be trying to keep him off the trampoline and off the cat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment