About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Boot Camp Reboot

We had an extremely laid back and non-eventful holiday. The rain kept us from going to the pool, grilling outside and lighting up fireworks. Instead Robby and Scott went to see a movie while I took Timmy to his toddler playground. While we failed to do anything Fourth of July-ish, we still had a nice day.

Perhaps the best thing about yesterday was the fact that I didn't have to go to Boot Camp. The gym was closed, providing me with another much needed rest day. Saturday I was so sore after class that I could barely lift up Timmy when I got home. My quads were achy and I was struggling to stand and climb stairs. Thankfully I had the foresight to schedule a massage to cap off my first week of fitness. The masseuse worked wonders because when he was finished I was able to climb off of the table without cussing in pain.

I thought that I was in fairly good shape from chasing Timmy around all day.  Apparently I was fooling myself. I am woefully weak, but hopefully that is changing. I really don't like boot camp, but I know that it is good for me. I have to start taking better care of myself.

The classes are short (only 30 minutes) so by the time I really start hurting I can count down to being finished. I'm happy that I'm not the only pudgy, strength struggling female in the class. If I were surrounded by toned jocks I would probably have quit the first day. I still feel insecure, but that is normal whenever I push myself out of my comfort zone.

Although I do find myself comparing my ability to everybody else,  it really doesn't matter if I can keep up with my classmates. One of the greatest amputee perks is the complete lack of expectation surrounding athletic ability. Everybody seems so amazed by the fact that I walk into a gym that I am lauded with praise simply for trying. At this point, I'll take the encouragement where I can get it!


No comments:

Post a Comment