About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse Fever

Like the majority of people in this country, yesterday we were swept up with Eclipse Fever. Robby has been counting down to the eclipse for several weeks and the excitement reached a fever pitch over the weekend. We decided that the best way to view the eclipse was to experience it with friends, so Sunday night I made some calls and arranged an impromptu party at the park. Most of his friends were overjoyed by the invitation, especially when I mentioned that we were going to share our viewing glasses, because those paper glasses turned into the hottest item of the year.  I'm so glad that I bought them in June so I didn't have to scramble to try to scrounge a pair!

Yesterday morning Robby and I made five pinhole viewers out of cake mix boxes. We then decided it would be fun to put the mixes to good use, so we whipped up a few batches of moon pies. (Okay, technically they were whoopie pies but we wanted to keep with the theme and nobody complained about the liberty we took with the name.) About an hour before the eclipse was set to begin we headed to pick up a tray of chicken nuggets and set up the viewing party at the park.

We had a great afternoon visiting with friends and meeting new ones. I was delighted with the number of families who went to the park with their glasses and box viewers, excited about watching this astronomical wonder. Robby and his friend took off through the park, inviting everybody who looked remotely interested to look through the glasses and to join our party. By the time the eclipse reached peak (about 85%) the pavilion was packed with family gazers, all excited and happy. 

I'm so glad that we decided to throw a party at the park. The eclipse was definitely more fun to watch with a crowd of people! I also have to note that it was nice leaving politics behind for a few hours and focusing my mental energy on something entirely different. Unfortunately eclipse goodwill was slashed last night by a Presidential news conference, so today we will be back bickering reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment