About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Ouchie Foot

I spent the majority of yesterday hobbling around, desperately trying to get everything done while silently (okay, maybe not so silently) cursing the water park. With my biological foot covered with large and painful blisters from the burning sidewalks, my prosthesis has become my "good" foot. Each step was a painful reminder of an adventure gone horribly wrong.  I have no desire to ever visit the water park again, but if I am convinced to take the kids I will definitely invest in a pair of water shoes. 

Timmy seemed to sense my being on the injured reserve list because he took full advantage of my sluggish reaction time. I am barely able to keep up with him when I'm healthy. With my foot injured, he can quickly slip past me to wreak more havoc.  Thankfully Robby is still home because I needed his assistance on more than one occasion.  Hopefully someday Timmy will recognize an injury and feel empathy instead of sensing an opportunity. 

As the day wore on, my misery was increasing. I felt badly because I dumped a lot on Scott when he came home from work. I know how hard it is to resume the teaching schedule, and I try to keep family responsibilities light for the first few weeks after summer vacation ends. But yesterday I simply couldn't walk anymore by the time he came home from work, and I needed his help.  He took one look at my face, and then my bloodied and swollen foot, and knew that I had reached my threshold.  

I'm hoping that my foot is feeling a little better today because my to-do list isn't getting any shorter. I'm leaving for San Francisco on Sunday, and I have a lot I need to do to get ready. I don't have time to be injured-  Stupid stupid water park!

No comments:

Post a Comment