About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

"The Bar"

Robby has developed a strong interest in and appreciation for art. Over the summer he happily explored all of the art galleries on the boardwalk, carefully critiquing and choosing just the right pieces as souvenirs.  When given the option he has been reading biographies of artists and spends his free time drawing and painting.

In an effort to encourage and to develop his interests, we have signed him up for an after school art program. One day a week we drive from his school to the art studio where he receives both individual and small group instruction from a talented (and ultra patient) art teacher. The teacher guides the small class through creating a new piece while focusing on a new medium and art form each week. He is learning about different types of art, art history and practicing methods. Art days have quickly risen to his favorite and he anticipates going each week. 

Yesterday during art they were focusing on refining basic drawing techniques. Robby practiced shading and learned how to draw various shapes using three dimension illusions. When he was done with his projects, the teacher instructed each student to create an illustration showing an activity that they enjoy with friends.

When I went to pick him up from class Robby he proudly showed me all of the class illustrations that were pinned to the wall. One student drew a soccer field. Another drew a few kids riding bicycles. A tween girl drew a baking scene. My kid drew a bar. 

Ugh! Of everything that he could have depicted! I tried to explain the drawing to his teacher, who was quasi wide-eyed and tentatively nodding as I rambled a justification. I knew that his illustration was not exactly what was interpreted, but I felt like I was just digging a hole as I tried to explain the backstory.

Robby and his cousins spent a lot of time together over the summer. One of their favorite activities became staying up all night long playing poker. My Mom bought them poker visors and chips. I suppose it is important to point out that no real money was ever exchanged and, in reality, they are playing Black Jack and not poker.

The cousins transformed my Mom's sun room into the nighttime Kid's Bar, where they spent hours each night playing cards and giggling. They drank milk out of shot glasses and assorted stemware, laughing and pretending to be metropolitan. They all loved hanging out in "their bar" and often shunned adults because we were overage. 

Robby's bar illustration was exactly what the teacher requested: his favorite activity to share with friends. Unfortunately many of the nuances were not conveyed through his drawing and to the unknowing eye it looks like he enjoys hanging out at the bar and drinking with buddies. Even though I tried to offer the explanation, it is a difficult bell to unring.


No comments:

Post a Comment