About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Top Negotiator

Last weekend we had a tree trimmer knock on our door. This is a common occurrence that happens several times a month, sometimes more during the summer and fall. Because we live in the woods and there is almost always a tree in a stage of decay on the property, trimmers often drive down the street trolling for business. Usually I just accept the card and close the door because unless the tree is going to hit our house or is a hazard in our path, we are more of a "let it fall natural" family.  

Cutting down a tree is a huge ordeal. Not only is the financial output significant, but the lawn is always left with debris and pitted. Between writing the check to having to move the cut tree sections and filling in the pivot holes, I dread the entire experience. 

The trimmers knocked at a fortuitous time because Scott and I were just discussing the dead poplar tree by the driveway. The imposing tree was dead from a two lightening strikes and the sheer size made me uneasy. Because Timmy and I play in the front yard, the dead tree made me nervous as we have been spending more time outside. As much as we hated to admit it, we needed to be proactive and have it cut down.

I hate negotiating, but I have learned that it is both necessary and expected when settling on a price for tree trimming. I have also learned to play up my advantages, which includes the fact that I am a woman with a disability. As soon as I casually mention the need for the pieces to be cut into manageable lengths, the price and the perks always improve. When the doorbell rang and we saw the tree trimming truck through the window I brushed my hair and prepared for negotiation battle.

My opponent was formidable, but I didn't fall for his tactics. His original offer of $1200 quickly dissolved as I stood firm in my resolve that we couldn't get the tree removed this year at that price.  As I thanked him for his time and began to walk away he finally agreed to my terms. Satisfied with the price and terms, we shook hands and agreed to fell and section the tree. He was scheduled to come the following Monday for the job.  

Monday came and went and my trimmer never arrived. I figured that he decided to forego the work and began to question if my negotiating had backfired. By Friday Scott and I gave up and decided to start the process again with the next trimmer who knocked on our door.

On Sunday afternoon the trimmer I hired finally showed up, one week late. I immediately went outside and told him that the job was no longer available because he failed to show up at the agreed upon time. He didn't call or make any contact attempts, so as far as I was concerned he was no longer hired. As I walked away he off hollered after me, offering to take another $100 off our price to do the job that day. I had no intention of hiring him again, but at that price I couldn't refused. I kept my face steady and agreed.  Inside I was doing a happy dance because we didn't spend nearly as much as I initially feared.  

The next few days will be spent rolling logs out of the middle of the yard. I decided that it would be fun to line them up along the side of the driveway to provide Timmy with a climbing obstacle. (Hey, since we have them we might as well have fun, right?)  I still hate having trees cut down, but at least this time I emerged as the top negotiator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment