About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Speech Started

Because of Robby's hearing impairment, he has a slight speech impairment. While he is still easy to understand and I find his pronunciations adorable, I know that it is starting to cause him some social angst. Yesterday afternoon we took the first steps towards remedying his speech issues by enrolling him in Skype Speech Therapy.

Why Speech Therapy through Skype? Because we have been on the waiting list for speech therapy for over three years. Since his issue isn't deemed "detrimental," he keeps getting pushed down the list. His pronunciation issues don't impact him academically, but they are certainly beginning to yield a social impact.

After a lot of research, I learned that Skype is an ideal platform to tackle mild articulation issues. Obviously in person would be ideal, but researchers have found equal to better results utilizing Skype sessions with kids just like Robby.  Since we could begin services right away, we decided that it was worth a try. 

I'm still up at my Mom's, so Scott oversaw the first session. He was impressed, which says a lot because he is a tough sell when it comes to the kids. After 20 minutes Robby was already showing improvement with his /s/ sounds, and is excited about continuing the sessions.  I'm proud of Robby for decided to work on this issue head on, and dedicating himself to the homework to improve. Hopefully by the end summer, the only time I'll hear his articulation issues is when I watch old videos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment