About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Boot Hill

Timmy loves playing on the steepest tube slide at the farm. The slide goes down at a high angle, which is probably the reason that he is drawn to it. The entrance to the slide can only be accessed by walking up a narrow gravel pathway, flanked on each side with a fence and thick brush and prickle bushes. Because he can only go in one direction, I typically park myself on a bench at the bottom of the slide to watch.

Everything was going well until he slid down without wearing his Thomas the Train boot. Assuming that he left his boot either in the slide or at the top of the hill, I told him to go get his boot.  He happily took my hand and led me to the side of the sliding hill. That's when I saw it, and I instantly knew that we were in trouble.

His bright blue boot was positioned among the thickets, about half way down the extremely steep (and roped off) hill. My mind began to analyze the situation as I tried to figure out if I should just leave the boot or try to retrieve it.  Because he needs the boots, I quickly resolved to try.  

After climbing up the path, I surveyed the situation. I was going to have to climb over the fence, which was about the height of my chest before making my way through the prickle weeds to the boot. Getting over the fence was not easy because the incline began to drop off quickly on the other side. I knew that I was going to have to be careful, because one misstep and I was going to go rolling down the hill through the briers.  

I managed to get over the fence, but walking to the boot was arduous. I was forced to sidestep because I didn't want to lose my footing. Trying to maneuver my way with a prosthesis was particularly frustrating. I slipped a few times, but thankfully I never fell. I was cursing Thomas the Train with each step.

After about 20 minutes, I had finally retrieved the boot. It took me another 10 minutes to get back to the slide, where Timmy was ecstatically cheering my return. We put on his boot and I pulled him away from the slide. It isn't something I would like to repeat, but I am proud of myself for managing the terrain to retrieve the lost boot!




No comments:

Post a Comment