About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

/s/wimsuit

Tired of being teased by his peers, Robby has been working on improving his articulation. We started private speech therapy, and he has been diligent about his "homework." It has been a few weeks since we have double downed on our efforts, and we are all agreed that we are hearing improvement. Robby can also gauge his improvement, which has spurred him on to work even harder.  

Going over his articulation exercises each day I am brought back to my own experiences in speech therapy. I absolutely hated everything about being in speech, from being pulled out of class to having to complete the extra worksheets each night. He is handling much better than I did at his age. I know that it isn't easy or fun, but he hasn't become discouraged. I'm so proud of him!

Yesterday he situated himself in the dining room for his weekly Skype speech session. Timmy and I were playing with trains in the living room while he worked with the therapist. He was working on the /s/ sound, which is particularly problematic for him. During this particular exercise the therapist was holding up a card featuring a different /s/ word. Robby's task was to say each word with correct articulation. This is what I heard:

"soup. scissors. stamps. sailboat. sun. snow. singer. boobies." 

There was a pause and the therapist was obviously talking to Robby through the headphones. He turned flush and said, "oh, okay. swimsuit."  

I had to leave the room before I burst out laughing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment