About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Hershey Park

Yesterday Scott and I packed up all the kiddos and headed to Hershey Park for the afternoon. Initially the prospect of taking everybody to an amusement park felt daunting. However, my niece and nephews have season passes and the park has become their summer stomping grounds. With more than a dozen trips logged, the cousins were able to become tour guides for their novice Crew member. 

As soon as we entered the gates I handed Robby his water bottle and $20 for food. With a quick wave goodbye, my little Koopa was gone. Tethered only by our cell phones, he and his cousins tackled the park independently. They Crew dutifully checked in hourly with a call or text, but other than that they were left to enjoy the park parent-free.

With Robby off with his cousins, Timmy had our full attention. He gleefully road the smaller amusements, with his smile shining brightly and his squeals of giggles resonating over the ride music.  He absolutely loves amusement parks!

Early in our trip, when it became clear that the lines were going to be an issue, I finally relented and requested the Accessibility Access Pass. The pass allows me to "Fast Track" all of the rides, essentially bypassing the snaking lines.  I took two motion sickness pills, pulled out the pass and headed to the special line.  

I love spending time with my family, but I don't enjoy amusement parks. The rides make me nothing but sick, and I find the crowds (and prices) overwhelming. Being able to bypass the long lines is a perk that helps to make the experience tolerable. Time spent standing still is minimized, keeping socket discomfort at bay. I also don't have to deal with whiny and squirmy kids, which is another bonus added!




No comments:

Post a Comment