About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Sad Sign

The For Sale sign is posted in front of Bill's house. Every time I look out my window, I feel washed with sadness. I am going to miss my dear friend. To add further heartache, I know that my boys are going to miss their adopted grandfather. 

Robby and Timmy don't know life without having Mr. Bill watching from across the street. He has fixed fishing poles, mended bicycle tires and encouraged peeing on trees. He has guided Robby through school projects and has been a wealth of information for reports. It is hard to imagine the neighborhood without him.

After much internal debate, Bill has decided to move because he can no longer maintain his yard to his high standards. I suggested that he stay and simply lower his standards or hire somebody to help him care for the property, but I quickly realized that he was not grappling for reasons to stay. He wants to move because he is tired of taking care of the house and wants a simpler life. My offering suggestions was only making the situation more difficult.  

Instead of trying to fix the situation, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to handle the move is to support Bill. He is changing his entire life, and I know that he is both scared and confused. As much as I want him to stay, he needs to do what is best for him. Change is hard for everybody, regardless of age.  

Part of me is hoping that his house doesn't sell and that his desire to leave fades. But I also know that my wishes are selfish, and that Bill needs to move on if that is what he wants to do. So I will cherish the remaining time that we will share as neighbors and help him in anyway possible with this transition. Outside I will be strong and caring, but inside my heart will be breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment