About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Accident

My poor little Hamlet.  Yesterday he was having the time of his life, riding his new bicycle with his brother when he hit a nut and veered off the road. He ended up flipping his bike and landing sliding down the embankment, thoroughly entangling himself in a thorn bush. It took Robby and me nearly 10 minutes to extract him from the thorny prison.

By the time we freed Timmy from the thorns, Timmy was a bloody mess. I could tell by the way that he was holding (and hiding) his left hand that he was injured. When I finally coaxed him into allowing me to look at his hand I knew that we needed to go to the walk-in clinic. He had huge thorns thoroughly embedded into all of his fingers and his ring finger looked to be pointed in the wrong direction.

Even though he hates blood, Robby was a big brother rockstar throughout the afternoon. Without missing a beat he crawled under the kitchen table to try to encourage Timmy to let us look at his hand. He desperately tried to keep his little brother calm throughout the visit to the doctor, although there was nothing anybody could do to quell the screams of pain that were emitted when the thorns were dug out of his hand.

Timmy had a dislocated ring ringer and eight large thorns embedded in his left hand. The finger was set and the thorns were removed. Today he continues to be protective of his hand and is reticent to use it. Hopefully it will heal soon, I hate seeing him in pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment