About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 30, 2019

Fall Festival

While Robby was in class on Friday, Timmy and I headed to a local Fall Festival. The temperatures were beautiful and the sun was bright in the crisp blue sky, which made it the perfect day to spend outside playing. As a bonus, Friday was considered a "value day," so admission was considerably discounted.

Usually packed with hoards of people, the farm was sparcely populated. Timmy and I were able to enjoy every slide and activity without waiting in line, allowing us to play on every structure and adventure. Needless to say, we had a wonderful time.

Fall Festivals are often difficult for me to transverse, and Friday was no exception. Typically built on a farm, little to no thought is given to accessibility. Slides are often plotted at the top of steep dirt hills without the benefit of handrails or steps. Obviously, corn mazes are not not always clear of obstacles, and the haunted paths through the woods are often riddled with branches, holes and other possible hazards. 

While not impossible to enjoy, I do find myself hyper aware of my the position of my prosthesis as I played at the Fall Festival. I'm grateful that I was able to still walk and enjoy the event. I saw several people sitting sullenly at the bottom of the hill in wheelchairs or with crutches. Going to this event without the ability to maneuver safely would stink!

Even though I had to remain vigilant to prevent falls, Timmy and I had a wonderful time playing at the festival. It was the perfect day to play and to just have fun, and we definitely succeeded with both objectives. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment