About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 23, 2019

Gettysburg WWII Weekend

Robby and I spent Saturday afternoon traveling back in time, to the 1940's.  A World War II weekend, complete with reenactors and restored vehicles, was being hosted in Gettysburg PA. While my mom entertained Timmy for the afternoon, Robby and I were able to explore the displays and talk with the reenactors about history. Robby was truly in his element.

Although we had a great time, there are two troubling encounters that keep sticking in the forefront of my thoughts. The first encounter was a reenactor who was posing as a WWII German medic. The fact that the gentleman did not have any true artifacts displayed and that he had, upon his own admissions, purchased bottles from Hobby Lobby to build a medical display, should have been my first clue. Even though he did not have any artifacts, Robby was polite and listened to his information.

At the end of his talk, the man mentioned that "Hitler got a bad rap" because he actually "showed a great deal of integrity." I was shocked, and I could tell by the look on Robby's face that he was also disturbed. Without pausing, probably for fear of my protesting his claim, he continued to explain that Hitler did not use poison gas against military troops, despite having both the means and the opportuniy. 

Robby piped up and reminded the man that Hitler was well-known for using poison gas against millions of people. Robby continued to defend his position by emphatically stating that Hitler had used poison gas against civilians, which most historians agree is far more cowardly than using the gas during warfare. The reenactor tilted his head, smirked and said, "Well, the Jews really shouldn't be considered civilians."  

"Mom, let's go. This dude is a nazi." Robby turned his back and walked away. I was disturbed by our encounter, but so proud of my son's integrity to defend history. While Robby was busy talking with representatives from the POW encampment, I went back to confront the nazi poser. Thankfully he was receiving a tongue lashing from an angry man in a modern military uniform. Instead of confronting, I noted the tent number and reported the encounter to the National Park Service, who was hosting the event.

Ironically, our second disturbing encounter involved the clergy tent. After listening to the recounting of battlefield church services during WWII, Robby asked if the services were nondemoniational so that all soldiers would feel both welcome and comfortable. The reenactor explained that the services were nondenominational, but not like they are today. "The n****r that was in the White House cowarded to Muslims. Things are getting better today, but not like the good old days. After all, this is America. We are patriots, not Muslims."  

I'll be honest, I nearly lost my damn mind. Again Robby and I turned our backs and walked away. I got a few feet away before storming back to confront this poser. I reprimanded him for "preaching hateful rhetoric under the guise of history." For the second time that day, I reported the encounter.  

We have attended the WWII weekend in Reading, PA for five years. We have never encountered arian undertones. All of the reenactors have always been careful to represent history without glorifying the positions of the Axis countries. I was shocked with our blatantly racist encounters in Gettysburg. Although Robby loves history, I doubt we will return to the event.











No comments:

Post a Comment