About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, September 13, 2019

Waning Pain

The bout with phantom pain made managing my Thursday difficult. I was tired, and my leg was extremely sore from the nonstop kicking. I was happy when Timmy went to bed because I knew that I wouldn't be far behind him. 

As anticipated, I experienced a little phantom pain after I took off my leg and settled into bed. Given the severity of Wednesday night, it would have been unusual to be pain-free Thursday night. For me, phantom pain tends to linger for a few days, wreaking havoc at night when my prosthesis is off.  

Even though my leg felt electric shocks and pain, it was not nearly as severe as what I experienced on Wednesday. Thankfully my tricks worked and I was able to both contain the shocking and manage the twisting sensations. Wrapping my limb tightly and pulling my knee up to my chest quieted the nerves. I was grateful to be able to fall asleep, and I slept soundly throughout the night.

Hopefully last night was the final stand of the phantom pain for awhile. I feel for my friends who experience episodes daily. I am fairly certain I would be nonfunctional if that were my reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment