About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, December 23, 2019

Hanukah

While I don't hold a religious affiliation, I love both Hanukah and Christmas. Both holidays fill my spirits to the brim with reflective appreciation and excitement for the future. I think Hanukah is special because of the connection with my Dad.

My Dad celebrated Robby's first Hanukah with him. I remember my Dad proudly holding his grandson, lighting the menorah and talking to him about the miracle of the lights. Every year, when I bring out the menorah that he gave us, I think of him. His absence is profoundly felt.

Last night was the first night of Hanukah. Robby and I participated in a community event where a large menorah was lit. The ceremony was beautiful. Looking up at Robby (he is now taller than me), I couldn't help but to become emotional. My goodness my Dad would have been proud of him. I wish that he was around to see both boys grow up.

I spent the rest of the evening feeling sad. Sometimes I think it is healthy to give yourself permission to miss those who have passed away. Today I'm feeling better, and the house is again being infused with the festive excitement of Christmas. Santa comes in a few days, so there is no time for tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment