About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Swimming

The news left me feeling helplessly overwhelmed. While I am more comfortable with my head in the sand on the issue of racism, pretending that it does not exist is part of the problem. Racism is alive and thriving in our country. This admission has left me shattered. 

Robby and I had a long and open discussion about racism and the events unfolding. He was shaken but resolved to be part of the change. He took Timmy's sidewalk chalk to the end of the driveway and wrote messages of support for the protestors. Maybe there is hope for the next generation?

Timmy, who is too young to understand the protests, was content and happy to spend his afternoon in his new pool. I swore I would never do another Easy-Set pool after the disaster ten years ago, but this summer we felt like it was the perfect recreation solution. Because all pools have been closed due to the pandemic, our only options for swimming will be those we create at home.  

Sitting in the middle of our driveway, next to our trampoline, is our brand new 10 ft round by 32 inches deep pool. Obviously I won't be swimming laps, but it is the perfect size for cooling off with Timmy. It is a little lopsided, but it works. 

Timmy is delighted with his new pool. He hopped into it as soon as the hose began to flow. The cool temperatures and the cold water  over the past few days have done nothing to dissuade my little fish. (Oddly, he finds particular delight in swimming completely naked.)

Unplugging from the news and watching him play leaves me feeling happy and relaxed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment