About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Happy Walking Day to me!

 17 years ago today I took my first prosthetic steps. My goodness, so much has changed since that date in 2003. Although I'm comfortable and now feel as if my prosthesis is an extension of my body (something I never thought I would say), I like to take today to look back and reflect. In a way, remembering my Walking Day keeps me grounded.

While watching the video of my first steps, I am reminded of the fear and uncertainty I felt during that time in my life. So much felt uncertain, and I was terrified that I would never be "normal" again. Little did I know that "normal" only exists in my mind. 

I am often asked what I think my life would be like if I had two biological feet. I honestly don't know how to answer that question. Other than the obvious, I'd wear better shoes, I can think of little I would want to change from where I am today. Sure, I get frustrated with my prosthesis and sometimes I feel pain. But pain and frustrations would still exist if I weren't an amputee, they would just manifest in different areas. 

 I have a great life, and today I am celebrating a milestone that helped me to become this version of myself.  Happy Walking Day to me. Here is to 17 years!!


No comments:

Post a Comment