About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 28, 2022

Ukraine

We live about 5 minutes away from a major Civil War Battlefield. Every time we have out-of-town guests we end up taking the tour. Needless to say, I have been on the Battlefield tour numerous times over the past twenty years. 

Every time I am on the tour I am struck by the guide's references to the battle spectators. Women and children, anticipating a battle, packed picnic baskets and lined the field to watch. According to accounts, the battle was a social event in addition to being a fight to the death. I always found that morbidly strange.

The concept of packing up the family to excitedly watch a war always struck me as bizarre. I understand that this was done during throughout history, but the Civil War was only 160 years ago. Who would do that? Even in the age before television and instant entertainment, surely watching people fight and die would be avoided. 

Over the weekend I found myself enthralled by the incoming reports from Ukraine. Robby has been consumed with studying the battle maps and hypothesizing strategy with his friends. Every evening he joined me on the couch to watch the broadcasts. We weren't hoping to see clashes and bloodshed, but instead we were both hypnotized by the bravery of the citizens on display. I am in awe of their strength.

 It occurred to me that, although my location had changed, I had also gathered my family around to "watch" the war. I guess circumstances change, but human nature remains the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment