About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Ninja Tumbling

In an attempt to provide a distraction from our dreary weather and our inability to play in the sun, I signed Timmy up for "Ninja Tumbling" camp. Yesterday was his first session and he was both excited and scared. He loves tumbling and rolling, so he was eager to practice and to learn new skills. But he was also nervous about walking into a gym where he knew nobody. Thankfully his excitement was stronger than his fear and he walked into the gym like a boss.

Well, not really like a boss. He was scared and looked like a little deer shocked into place.  I watched him stand still, frozen with fear and uncertain about what to do. It took a lot of self-control for me to stay on the other side of the glass. Every part of me wanted to walk into the gym to involve him in the introductions. While I wanted to rescue him, I also recognized that he needed to work it out for himself. After several angst filled moments, a camp counselor finally noticed and approached him. By the time I left he was running in circles and jumping onto cushions.

Despite the tenuous beginning, he had a fantastic time at camp. I picked him up three hours later and he was red faced, sweaty and grinning from ear-to-ear. He chatted all about the games and his new friends throughout the evening. Hopefully he will continue to enjoy camp because he will go again today!

No comments:

Post a Comment