About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Professional Amputee

A few days ago I heard a phrase that I had never before heard and it has created a whirlwind of thoughts. A friend referred to an acquaintance as a "professional amputee" and it was not meant to be a compliment. Confused, I asked for the definition of a professional amputee. According to my friend, a professional amputee is an individual who has been drawn into the Orthotics and Prosthetics profession as a direct result of their amputation. 

I was taken aback because I know so many people, including myself, who fit this definition. I never considered myself a professional amputee but, according to this definition, I am one. Unlike my friend, I don't consider the label to be negative.  Why is being drawn to a profession because of a personal experience a bad thing?

My discussion with my friend led me down a bit of a rabbit hole with other friends in the profession. I was shocked to learn that there is an undercurrent of resentment within the O&P community towards amputees who enter the profession later in their career as a result of a personal experience. I am saddened to learn about this divide.

So many people in O&P entered the field after a close personal experience. Honestly, most people don't even know about prosthetics until they need one! In my opinion, anytime you can get people who have a personal connection and investment in the profession to work towards a common goal, everybody wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment