About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Zapping

 I spent yesterday on my feet, ferrying things between rooms and working in the kitchen. It was one of those days where I was busy from the moment I slipped my leg on until I finally pulled it off at night. Even though I was moving all day, I was certainly not comfortable. My socket no longer resembles something that fits and I am reminded of the volume loss with every single step. Walking down the hallway last night I distinctively thought to myself that each step is miserable. Prosthetic issues stink!

I've started the process for approval for a new socket, but I know that it will take awhile to inch through the system. In the meantime I am forced to pad my limb so that it fills the socket. My fixes are not long term nor are they particularly comfortable. However, I am able to function and walk without crutches, so I suppose that I am successful. 

Not only is walking difficult, exhausting and painful, but I am also paying for efforts at night in the form of nerve pain. The shooting bolts of electricity that course through my limb and into my phantom foot are nearly intolerable. Last night I was forced to compress the nerve so tightly that I was worried I was going to cut off circulation to my remaining limb.  

Needless to say, I overdid it yesterday. Sigh. Have I mentioned that prosthetic issues stink?

No comments:

Post a Comment