About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 24, 2009

My Personal Extreme Makeover

Yesterday, I did something that I rarely do. I got my hair cut, styled, colored and highlighted. This special treat was the pinnacle to a journey that I embarked on two years ago yesterday, my own self-imposed makeover.On April 23, 2007 I woke up to care for my son. I looked in the mirror, and had a horrible revelation. I was fat. I wasn't merely chunky or overweight. There was no doubt about it, I was obese, and it was my fault.


I never really attributed the weight to my pregnancy, although that certainly added pounds. I had a much better excuse. One that couldn't be ignored or denied by anybody. I was an amputee. I only had one leg. It was "harder" for me to work out. I couldn't get in shape with a prosthetic, could I?

I am a fan of The Biggest Loser and other weight loss shows, but all of those contestants had a "leg up" on me so to speak. They were all able bodied individuals. I have never seen any disabled individual featured on a weight loss segment or program. Obviously, I was expected to be less fit and active, or so I told myself.

That sad morning two years ago, I resolved to change the course of my life. Logically, I knew that all amputees weren't always tired, achy and fat. Unfortunately, that was my only experience. I changed the excuse of being an amputee into a challenge, and my little boy became my motivation.

Realistically, I know that Robby will face ridicule as he grows because his Mommy is different. There is nothing I can do about having only one leg. My epiphany that morning: He was going to have a Mommy with one leg. But he didn't have to have the fat one legged Mommy.

During Robby's nap time, I put on my work-out clothes that I swore must have shrunk. I took the laundry off the stationary bicycle, and I started pedaling. That day I could only pedal for 15 minutes, but during that time I proved something to myself. I could exercise with a prosthetic. With a lot more work and a lot fewer excuses, I could not only be a really cool one legged Mommy, I could be the sexy one legged Mommy.

The journey has been difficult both physically and emotionally. I couldn't do every exercise I tried. I tried pole dancing, and my leg got caught and almost popped off. Yoga has been a bit tricky, because I simply can't do every move. However, I have discovered that there is more that I can do verses what I can't. The true challenge has been morphing the amputation "excuse" into a challenge.I am now over 100 pounds lighter than I was that morning two years ago. I have more energy, and more pride. I am excited about life. I am proud of what I can accomplish with my prosthetic. I am now training for a mini triathalon. Instead of settling for what I perceived to be the life of an amputee, I now strive to do things on one leg that I never thought would be possible when I had two.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. You personify determination. You have every reason to be proud of yourself. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete