About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Keep spare legs under your bed...

This lesson I learned the hard way. Like a lot of amputees, I keep my "beater leg" and my specialized legs in a bag in the closet. Let's face it, keeping spare limbs lying around the house looks a bit odd, and can be an uncomfortable and unnecessary visual reminder of your amputation.
I have learned, however, that it is imperative to keep at least one spare limb within reach at all times.

All children go through stages where they like to move things and "hide" things. They don't do it to be mean. It is part of the learning process and is inevitable. Usually what they relocate can be easily found. Until you wake up one morning, and you realize you can't find your leg!

I found myself crawling around the house, asking my two year old where he put Mommy's leg. While he is very good at hiding things, he isn't always good at remembering where he put them. Despite my bruised knees from crawling, I had to laugh. I never thought I would be saying, "Robby, where did you put Mommy's leg..."

Yes, I finally found the leg, in the middle of his Diego ball tent, filled with balls. I also found two cordless phones, 5 pacifiers and his Daddy's work badge.

You may wonder why I was crawling and not using crutches. Well, I quickly discovered that crutches are very dangerous around a toddler. They apparently make wonderful swords and bats. After a broken lamp and a near miss with our cat, the crutches are now safely in the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment