About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Our Good News...


I just wanted to write a quick note to provide an update on my nephew Jake. The fact that he survived the accident and suffered non-life threatening injuries, is truly miraculous. We can find no other explanation.

Jakey has been released from the hospital. He has a broken ankle, and his pelvis is broken in several locations. He also sustained a broken vertebrae at the base of his spine. He has severely bruised lungs and lacerations on his head and face. He is hurt, but he is certainly not broken. He will recover. Children are resilient. He has found his smile despite the pain and his injuries.

We knew that Jake's cognitive functions were intact the day after his accident. Because he was knocked out we were not certain about any brain implications. Through his sedated state, he looked at my Dad (called "Candy Papaw" by his grandchildren because he always has lollipops for them) and smiled. He then asked his Candy Papaw, in a weak but clear voice, if he could have a lollipop.

My Dad flew out of his hospital room and ran to the gift shop. He started asking every available clerk for lollipops, explaining that it was imperative. He bought a handful. Although Jake couldn't eat the candy yet, the fact that he requested it was the sweetest sound we could have heard!

Jake has been released from the hospital and is in stable condition. Aside from pain management, there is no need for him to remain in the hospital because my sister and her husband will administer his medication at home.

He will be in a wheelchair for awhile. He cannot exert himself because of the injury to his lungs. He cannot bear weight on his extremities because of the broken vertebrae and pelvis and he is in pain. Thankfully, he will heal.

Before we know it, he and Robby will be running around the yard, playing with their digger trucks. In the meantime, I have been talking to Robby, trying to explain to a three year old that his cousin and friend is hurt. I explained that Jakey has to sit in a wheelchair.

Fortunately Robby has been exposed to wheelchairs since his birth. Between my revision surgeries and his volunteering at Walter Reed visiting injured service men and women, he is comfortable with medical equipment. I am thankful for his early exposures.

Robby knows that Jakey will not be able to run with him right now. After pausing for several moments, Robby asked me if Jake could watch cartoons and eat cookies. So, today I am going to take Robby to see his friend. He is bringing his new Max and Ruby Christmas DVD, and he asked me to help him make cookies. I don't think I've ever been happier turning on the mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment