About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

My Winter Obsession

I don't have to look at the calendar to know that February is upon us. The holidays are over, and people have put the Christmas decorations away. (Okay, mine are still lying in the middle of my front yard, but I have every intention of putting them away soon.) It looks desolate and dead outside. This time of year always depresses me.

Every year at this time I can be found perusing the cosmetic aisle at our local Target. I typically don't spend a lot of time primping and I would generally consider myself to be a low maintenance woman. However, every January/February I am drawn to cosmetics, lotions and various "miracle" potions.

One look under my bathroom sink would reveal the depth of my winter obsession. Little bottles, tubes and assorted facial scrubs fall out whenever the cabinet doors are opened. The child lock not only serves to keep Robby out, but it helps to keep the "miracle breakthrough" products in.

I don't always concentrate on my face. Last year I became quasi-obsessed with cellulite on my thighs and bum. I managed to convince myself that my "lumpy bum" was the cause of a lot of problems and needed to be fixed. I bought a tube of Nivea's Good-Bye Cellulite (at $22) and set about "smoothing" the bumps.

I diligently applied the cream twice a day, as directed. I even used a hairdryer on my rear to dry the cream before getting dressed. I was absolutely convinced that I was going to have a bum like Jennifer Lopez.

The bottle was supposed to have enough applications for six weeks. I used the entire contents in 18 days. Apparently they don't expect users to have such an "ample" area. I realized that it was going to cost me several hundred dollars to smooth the bumps. I admitted defeat against cellulite.

This year I find myself worrying about my "fine lines and wrinkles." Okay, I admit that I don't have fine lines and wrinkles... yet. I know that there is nothing wrong with the generic "Oil of Beauty" lotion that I have been using. Sometimes though, and ladies back me up, it is nice to use something name brand. I find myself wanting to use Oil of Olay Total Effects, at $20 a bottle.

I have been able to resist my impulses. Logically, I know that the wrinkle obsession is my pattern. Given enough time, the weather will warm and my focus will again shift. After all, I know that I don't need another little bottle under my sink.

Despite the cold, I took Robby to the park today. He met a little boy and the two of them were playing with Robby's treasured Bob the Builder ball. Out of the blue, the little boy looked at me and told me that I "looked just like his grandma." I am going to Target to buy the wrinkle cream, and now I think I may need the accompanying scrubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment