About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, March 01, 2010

Prosthetists...The Good, The Bad, and The Lazy

After five adventure filled days in the Windy City, I am finally home. Although I missed "my boys," I thoroughly enjoyed my time away. I feel energized and rejuvenated. I also feel validated having talents recognized other than those utilized in the caring for my family. It is nice to be reminded that I am more than a wife and mother. But--one look at my house let me know that I returned in the nick of time.

Robby spent the majority of the time with his Nana but returned home to spend Friday night and Saturday with Scott in anticipation of my return. Somehow, in a mere 24 hours, Robby managed to utterly destroy the house. Although Robby certainly deserves some of the blame, the majority of the guilt lies with Scott. Apparently both of "my boys" require parental supervision when putting away their toys!

I became spoiled with both room and maid service. I felt like royalty when I picked up the telephone to order breakfast and, 20 minutes later, a beautiful waffle and a pot off coffee was delivered to my door. What a treat! I didn't make my bed when I left for the conference booth. Although I knew that the room would be cleaned in my absence, I was still giddy every day when I came back to a freshly made bed and a brand new set of little soaps (which I immediately stashed in my suit case).

Working in the exhibition hall booth every day, although tiring, was also exhilarating. I loved meeting prosthetists and professionals from all over the world. Every conversation was different, and I felt like I was always learning something new.

I met so many brilliant prosthetists who were excited about the future of the field. These individuals viewed their patients as partners in the process. They were eager to learn all of the new options which were becoming available.

Unfortunately, I was also discouraged that so many prosthetists seemed closed to new technology and innovations. Although some seemed genuinely interested in my experiences, many refused to listen. I became frustrated, and then saddened, as I encountered so many poor to merely mediocre prosthetists. As amputees, we deserve better.

As an amputee, I deserve a prosthetist who is willing to try all new technology and devices, regardless of a personal bias or even a previous experience. The Proprio ankle absolutely changed my life. I understand that another BK may not have the same experience. However, he or she deserves the opportunity to try the ankle to make the determination for themselves.

I trust my prosthetist to guide me through all of my prosthetic options. I am a busy individual who does not have the knowledge nor do I have the resources to fully research all of the components on the market. With so much technology on the market and with new devices set to launch in coming months, I depend upon my prosthetist to lead me through the maze of products.

I understand that it is not feasible for me to try every component on the market. It would be both exorbitant and laborious. I know that my needs are being looked after by my prosthetist, that he will know when a product might help me before I know of its existence. He looks at function and allows me to make the determination about comfort, weight, size and aesthetics.

Having an open rapport with my prosthetist has been paramount to my regaining an active lifestyle after my amputation. It became clear to me, through my interactions with many of the prosthetists at the conference, that not every professional is good in their field. Instead of looking after the patient's best interest, many are concerned about the ease of manufacturing and their bottom line.

Bionic technology is often dismissed because it makes manufacturing the limb both more difficult and more expensive. I am concerned about the number of amputees who are settling for poor prosthetic care merely because of the complacency of their prosthetists. I was discouraged by some of the interactions I had at the conference.

If you have a prosthetist who you feel does not listen, find a new one. If you find that your prosthetist is trying to talk you out of trying bionic technology, so that you can make the decision for yourself, find a new one. If your prosthetist doesn't educate you about various components available for a specific prosthetic that is being designed, find a new one. If you feel uncomfortable asking questions, or are told to live with an ill-fitting socket, find a new one.

We wouldn't continue going to a hair stylist who refused to let us try a new color, so why would we continue to patronize a prosthetist who refuses to let us try a new style of limb? All amputees deserve to be a partner in their prosthetic design. After all, we are the one living with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment