About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Robby Island

"We won't turn back until we're through.... that's what explorers do. Who's afraid? Who's afraid? Not me, are you?" Don't know that song? You probably haven't been watching Little Bear! This song has become Robby's anthem, and he has taken the words to heart.

Robby loves exploring. Much to his displeasure, Mommy must accompany him on his excursions. He is still too young to travel solo, so, several times a day we don our "explorer hats," grab our binoculars and bug box and head into the woods.

For the past few weeks, Robby has been drawn to the stream. Last summer I thought he was too young to play in the running water. I was worried that he was still an unsteady walker and I didn't want him to slip on the muddy rocks.

This year is different. As he is quick to point out, Robby is a "big boy." He is now allowed to play in the stream, and he could not be happier. Of course, Robby must wear his green Froggy rain boots before jumping into the water. After all, the correct accessories are imperative for all explorers!

Robby was thrilled to be allowed to wade in his stream. He found two frogs, one of which he is convinced must have been sleeping since it was floating downstream on its back. He tried fishing with his bug net but was not successful. He did, however, make a fantastic discovery.

Robby found a deserted island. Okay, it is actually a grouping of stones that congregated in the center of the stream, but that doesn't seem to phase him. As with all great explorers, he named his discovery. It was aptly named "Robby Island."

After watching him from the bank of the stream, Robby invited me to visit his island. He was eager for me to see his discovery. Unfortunately I had to decline because I wasn't wearing a water resistant leg.

For that moment, I hated being an amputee. I wished that I could be like every other Mommy and just be carefree and spontaneous. I wanted to just hop across the water and visit his island. Unfortunately I had to explain to my little Explorer that Mommy wasn't wearing her water leg, and that I wouldn't be able to visit. He responded with an animated "Oh Bummer" and trudged across the stream to meet me on the bank.

I was surprisingly frustrated that I wasn't able to visit Robby Island. Just when I think I have the knack of this whole amputee lifestyle, something small comes up to remind me of my disability. I hate it for myself, and I hate it for Robby as well.

Regardless of my frustrations, the fact remains that I am not going to be as spontaneous as other parents. I will always have to make sure that I have the correct prosthetic and accommodations. This reality is not going to change.

However, like all good explorers, preparation is paramount. In front of the door, Robby's Froggy boots are drying and his binoculars and bug house are hanging on the hook where his winter coat was hung. I have placed my water leg, already donning a water shoe, next to his boots. The next time we go exploring, I plan on visiting Robby Island. Maybe we'll even pack a picnic.

1 comment: