About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

We Did It!

To quote Dora the Explorer, "We did it. We did it. We did it. Hooray!" Yes, Robby and I both survived the plane trip to California. Not to brag, but we didn't merely muddle through. Robby was a champion traveler. Robby Rotten was nowhere in sight, and he could not have been better behaved. I even received compliments from fellow passengers as we disembarked.

We had to get up extremely early this morning (4:00 am) in order to get to the airport with ample time to get through security. Robby was slow to wake up. I was slower. A little coffee and some not-so-subtle prompting from Scott got me in gear.

Thankfully, Scott was able to secure a pass to accompany us through security. One of my anxieties involved getting through the security screening while maintaining control of Robby. Because of my prosthetic, I always require the dreaded pat down along with the explosives testing. Depending upon the airport and the TSA screeners, I have also received x-rays along with requests to remove my prosthetic. I have learned that I can never anticipate what will happen when I go through security!

To my delight, my screening was quick and easy. I found it ironic that, out of all of our luggage that we were carrying on, Robby's Diego the Animal Rescuer backpack was pulled for a hand search. Typically my spare legs throw off the screeners. This morning, they were confused by the plastic dinosaurs and trains. They actually swabbed Black Bear for explosive residue.

Robby slept on the flight from Washington to Chicago. We had a layover in Chicago, and we were delayed. Robby Rotten showed signs of emerging but was quickly squelched when he got both pancakes and McNuggets from McDonalds. Yes, I am not too proud to resort to bribery when necessary!

The plane from Chicago to California was packed. The man next to us did not look happy when we took our seats next to him. I overheard him complaining to his wife about a "little brat" that is sitting next to him. I began to worry.

Robby spent about two hours eating from a jar of cupcake sprinkles. He ate each star individually, with the exception of the pink which for some reason he insisted on feeding me. He was quiet so I didn't complain.

We played with his Leapster 2, looked at books and snacked some more until snoozing again. I had to wake him when we landed. The cynic sitting next to me actually complimented Robby on his excellent behavior. I wonder if he told his wife that my little boy is not a brat?

In any case, it turns out that the experience with the rental car was the most stressful aspect of the trip, but we are now relaxing in the hotel room. Robby has eaten junk all day, so I am hesitant to put him back into a confined seat. Tonight might be the perfect opportunity to introduce him to the joys of room service. He can eat propped up in bed, watching cartoons. After all, he deserves a little spoiling today!

No comments:

Post a Comment