About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Homeward Bound

As soon as Robby wakes up this morning, we are going to become extremely busy. We are going to scoot downstairs for a quick breakfast, then return to our room to pack up. Today, we fly home!

I have had a wonderfully busy time in California. Yesterday was the day-long photo shoot. We arrived on set at 9, and continued shooting video and pictures until about 5. Robby was such a trooper. He had one "mini meltdown" at about 3:00. The fit didn't last long, but it was a doozy!

I can hardly blame him, though. He was awoken from a sound sleep to change his clothes so that he could be used as a prop. At this point he had been taking pictures for six hours with very little down time. He was tired of people being in his face and having to stand still and smile. Truth be told, so was I.

My day was not without incident. Yet again, my natural grace and poise became evident. I was trying to pull Robby's wagon down a steep incline on a wooden path. The soil out here is loose and dry, not compact and stiff like in Virginia. The incline was steep and the path was rutted. In retrospect, this was a recipe for disaster.

I fell down the hill on the first take. My feet kept slipping on the dirt, and I knew I was going down. I also knew that if I let go of the wagon, Robby was going to go on a wild ride through the woods. I instinctively fell in front of the wagon.

I shrugged off the fall out of embarrassment because I wanted to appear like a capable woman, but I had hurt my hand. Two fingers on my right hand are not bending well, and are purple and swollen. The knuckles are sore to touch.

Despite my tumble and sore fingers, this has been an experience of a lifetime. Although Robby is young, I am confident that he will maintain some memories of this trip. We are certainly going to have enough pictures to remind him!

I am sure I am going to write more about the photo shoot in the next day or two. Right now, I need to focus on flying home. I am optimistic that Robby will continue his string of good behavior, at least until we touch down in DC. If not, I will be writing from an airport terminal somewhere in Kansas after we get kicked off the plane. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment